Sunday, December 30, 2007

Brisket

Angus trimmed brisket (about 5 lbs.)
1 packet Lipton onion soup mix
1 bottle of liquid smoke (you pick flavor)

Get a large piece of foil (big enough to wrap completely around the meat) and lay it across a big cookie sheet. Place the meat in the foil fat side up, and rub with the soup mix. Pour the bottle of liquid smoke over and around the meat and gather the sides of the foil up like a tent. Cook on 225˚, 2 hours for every pound it weighs. I usually put it in before I go to bed and it is cooked and done when I wake up in the morning. When it is finished remove from oven and put in fridge to cool. Trim the fat and slice. Move to a casserole dish and cover with barbecue sauce, if desired. Before serving, cook for 1 hour on 350˚.


(From: Bill Simmons, Amanda Herbert's dad)

Amanda made this one time in college when we were roommates and it has been my favorite way to cook brisket ever since. I just put it in the oven before going to bed and when we wake up the house smells amazing. Then I put the brisket in the refrigerator in the morning to cool down. When it's time for dinner all I have to do is pull it out and reheat it in the oven for dinner that night!

No comments: